Happy Friday, hope you’ve all had an awesome week despite the sky constantly crying for the past few days.
As a Personal Trainer, one of the upsides to all this rain is that I had an unexpected morning off with the family.
So after doing my daily 10 minutes of mindfulness (more on that another time) I decided to rustle up a nice breakfast for the brood with whatever I could find in the kitchen.
Sometimes this can go horribly wrong, but on this occasion the results were majestic, so I thought I’d take the guesswork – and admittedly some of the spontaneity – out of your weekend breakfasts (brunches for non-parents) and share the recipe with you.
My wife Sal has christened it the “After-Sleep Pan Pizza”
Yep, she loves a pun as much as me, and that is partly why she rocks.
After-Sleep Pan Pizza
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
For the base
Tsp coconut oil
6 organic free range eggs, whisked
Handful of spinach, finely chopped
Tsp of mixed herbs or oregano
Sprinkle of cinnamon
Pepper to taste
2 tbsp organic tomato paste
For the topping
50g smoked salmon, roughly torn into pieces
50g goats cheese
Handful of cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- Preheat the grill to a low heat
- Melt the coconut oil in a medium sized frying pan then use to grease the pan and avoid any sticking disasters
- Add the spinach, herbs/oregano, cinnamon and pepper to the whisked eggs and give a quick stir to mix
- Pour the mixture into the pan and cook for a few minutes until the base is cooked and the egg is starting to set
- Remove from the hob and place under the grill for 2 minutes, or until the top of the egg is firm enough to add the toppings
- Remove from the grill and spread the tomato paste evenly across the top with the back of a spoon
- Add your toppings, then return to the grill for another 2 minutes
- Job done, grubs up!
The beauty of this one is you can use whatever you’ve got or whatever you fancy to create all sorts of different options, we’ve had chorizo, sweet peppers, grated pecorino and parsley before and that was a winner as well!
It doesn’t just have to be for breakfast either, you can have this as a quick and easy dinner when you’re short on time and struggling for inspiration after a long day at work.
So have a great bonfire night weekend, whatever you’re all up to stay safe and enjoy!
Ian “Pizza-Party” Male